The recipe for fried capelin in batter. A simple way to deal with odor.
Fried capelin quickly disappears from the plate, you don’t even have to worry about the side dish, limiting yourself to fish and salad leaves. The only disadvantage of capelin is the smell that appears during frying. But there is a simple way to combat the "fish spirit" - capelin needs to be dipped in batter made from cornmeal. The disadvantages disappear at once, and among the advantages it should be noted delicious crisp shell. Corn batter will be sharp, because the flour is mixed with ground pepper and herbs. Capelin in batter can no longer be called a simple dish, a delicious shell at once translates it into the category of "noble fish".
- capelin - 350 g
- eggs - 1 pc.,
- milk - 2 tbsp. l.,
- cornmeal - ¾ st.,
- salt - ½ tsp.,
- ground black pepper - ¼ tsp.,
- Provencal herbs - ½ tsp.,
- sunflower oil - 90 ml,
- dill, lettuce
The sequence of preparation of capelin in batter:
1. The frozen capelin briquette is placed on a plate and is not “disturbed” until completely defrosted. As soon as the fish carcasses become soft, get to work.
2. Capelin is washed in cold water, it is not necessary to gut the fish.
3. Break a large egg, add milk, put salt. The batter should be stronger salt, as the capelin itself will be unsalted. Beat the egg with milk with a fork.
4. On a flat plate pour cornmeal, Provence herbs, black pepper. The dry part of the batter is mixed until smooth.
5. Each fish is dipped in an egg mixture and immediately transferred to a plate with flour.
6. In capelin flour, roll thoroughly, an even layer should cover the fish from head to tail.
7. In a frying pan, heat the vegetable oil, put the first portion of fish. No need to pour all the oil into the pan at once, it is poured for each new portion of fish. Capelin is fried without covering the pan with a lid. Each side of the fish is fried for 5 minutes, this time is enough for steaming the fish and forming a golden crust of hardened batter.
Corn flour does not draw in a lot of oil, so fried capelin does not need to be put on paper towels to remove excess fat. Hot fish is spread on a plate, and when it cools down a little, it is transferred to portioned dishes with salad leaves.
It is advisable to “powder” capelin in batter with green dill slices. Cooled fish become even tastier than warm. When the crispy shell of batter is broken, a tender fish fillet appears, it is easily separated from the ridge, and from the pressed interiors.
You can free the fish from inedible parts in one motion: break the head and pull it in the direction of the abdomen, at the same time all the insides slip out.
Capelin fried in corn batter can be an excellent home-made preparation for picnics, when you want to have a bite to eat, without waiting for the meat languishing on the grill.