The uniqueness is that: 1- I haven’t seen anything like it yet, 2- it allows you to catch on small rivers from different depths by constantly monitoring the bottom, 3- you do not need to constantly band the hooks.
Repeatedly, I have already talked about different types of bottom gear, thanks to which it is possible to fish with equal success on large rivers (from the shore or from a boat). And on my favorite little rivers and streams of our Motherland. I have repeatedly witnessed how on very narrow rivers, hardly reaching 4-5 meters wide, local fishermen somehow managed to catch decent trophies. And if we add to this the fact that fishing goes for fine gear, then this is generally a "fairy tale".
However, those who fish from the bottom on small rivers and lakes in the summer should know that the bottom of such rivers and lakes is overgrown with algae by the middle of summer, the water in the river becomes smaller and there is a high probability of getting a hook for aquatic vegetation. On the other hand, this very vegetation for fish is an excellent shelter and a kind of reservoir of food.
And then one day I wondered whether it is possible to somehow catch on the bottom tackle with or without a float (there are different variations of mounting the donkeys), in still water or in a weak stream, but with the condition that, if necessary, it could be quickly and without any hassle to change the location of the hook. What I mean? See:
1. In the usual sense of donkeys, hooks are at the bottom. If you just catch on the float tackle and reduce the depth, then all the tackle will be demolished by the flow, which means this method is not suitable.
2. You can tie the hooks above the sinker or equip them with a foam ball. It is possible, but also in this case, very often (almost always) you need to either lower the hooks lower (closer to the bottom), or vice versa, raise them closer to the surface. You have to bandage all the tackle, which is not very convenient, since time is wasted, and the weather conditions during fishing do not always contribute to the accurate conduct of all the above manipulations.
Thinking in this way and analyzing the literature, I realized that there is no universal gear that meets my needs (listed above). Of course, maybe I didn’t look at all the sources, maybe I don’t know something, but the fact is, I set out to come up with a tackle that would answer my following wishes:
1. I could know and determine the bottom
2. Could catch in all layers of water, while the sinker should be at one point
3. And the most important thing is to exclude bandaging of hooks and the formation of loops on the fishing line
As always, the idea came quite unexpectedly when I watched a crane work. Here is the meaning and “highlight” of the gear I invented:
1. Toward the end of the line I fasten the sinker. Its weight depends on the strength of the current, the form does not matter. The color of the sinker I prefer is dark, but when I catch on the sandy bottom, I repaint it to the color of sand (with a waterproof marker)
2. I attach the hook to a leash of different lengths (from 20 centimeters to a meter). But I attach the leash itself using the loop-to-loop method to a small swivel, into one of the rings of which I insert a cambric, which should sit tightly in the swivel ring. Then, putting this design on the fishing line (before attaching the sinker at the end of the fishing line), I insert a reinforcing element between the fishing line and cambric: a piece of a match, a wire of a smaller diameter, a piece of plastic from a comb, etc. It is important that after the fixing element is inserted, with the help of the applied force it was possible to move the swivel with a leash up or down. Here is such a simple design, which is a “find” for a fisherman who is a fan of small rivers.
The fishing technique is simple and in many ways similar to donkey hand fishing. The whole difference is that you can first go fishing at the bottom. Then, lifting the hooks - to catch the middle and upper layers of water.
The gear is interesting and versatile, with some modification. It is possible to successfully catch peaceful fish on it, and go fishing for a predator.
Good luck fishing and all the best.
I recommend to read:
How to darken a lure
In the spring on a light interesting tackle